Buddha Eye Temple
2190 Garfield Street
Eugene, OR, 97405
See contact form below on this page
About Buddha Eye Temple
All activities are free and open to the public. Newcomers and people of various faiths are always welcome. If this is your first visit we recommend that you come by on Sunday mornings for the orientation.
Our Name - Yujinkidenzan Shobobutsugenji
Yu Jin Ki Den Zan - Heroic Benevolence Happiness Transmitting Mountain
Sho Bo Butsu Gen Ji - True Dharma Buddha Eye Temple
In 2004 Ejo's teacher, Keira Joshin Roshi, came from Japan and held a Kaitanshiki (Temple Opening Ceremony). He named us Yujin Kidenzan Shobobutsugenji. The characters for Yujin phonetically represent Eugene. Kidenzan is also the “mountain name” of Keira Roshi's temple in Sendai, Japan. So, we are the Eugene Happiness Transmitting Mountain.
Butsu Gen is Keira Roshi's dharma title and so we chose that name to honor his many gifts, financial and spiritual, which made establishing Buddha Eye possible.
Keira Roshi's Temple in Japan is named Shurinji, located in Sendai, Japan.
Our Vision Statement
Buddha Eye Temple is a place where awakening is realized for and with the whole community. Together we unfold buddha teachings of compassion, wisdom and generosity. Our temple opens wide on many paths of practice. Within our gates, a person may enjoy the garden, offer a stick of incense or spend a lifetime in practice.
• We maintain an inviting temple environment, open to the public, so that people from all walks of life may encounter true peace and joy.
• We strive to bring ancient wisdom to modern life through our shared exploration of buddha dharma. We encourage a spirit of inquiry, offering dharma talks, classes and other events.
• We respond to the needs of the community by seeking ways to be of service and establishing outreach programs that nurture wisdom and compassion.
• We rely on generosity as the fundamental support for our temple. We offer all dharma programs free of charge.
• We transform by unfolding the living tradition of Soto Zen. We affirm a diversity of practice paths as the fullest expression of buddha dharma.
• We uphold zazen as the simply transmitted wondrous dharma at the core of our temple's activity. The integrity of a life grounded in zazen is immediately available to all beings.
Temple Email Contact Form
Please fill out the form below and your email will be responded to, please be aware that reponse times can vary between a day and a week or more depending on time of year and practice schedule.